nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple tree with fireblight

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple tree with fireblight
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 18:34:55 +0000

Hi Back,
I am no expert on fire blight, but know that disease pressure increases where
trees lack much airflow and direct sun. Your tree just might be in too muck
of a squeeze in that way. Also, some cultivars are more vulnerable to fire
blight that others.
Grafting was certainly worth a try. Did you graft to rootstock that has
fireblight resistance? I've read (am trying it out, too) that some resistance
may be conveyed via the rootstock to the fruiting wood. I've got some Geneva
30 out back (no longer likely to be found on the market due to problems that
don't concern me, and appears to be replaced by some verry promising
rootstocks) and hope they will help when I graft Edward VII, as well as King
David and Summer Rambo.
Egremont Russet has quite a fan base; worth waiting to see...
Dave Liezen, Spokane, WA z5-6