nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peach on Myro

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, mail@siloamorchards.com
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peach on Myro
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 17:01:33 -0400

Eric, remember that Myrobalan has been used as a rootstock for apricot with mixed results. Harcot is not compatible with Myrobalan (I can speak from personal experience on this), while Harlayne is said to be compatible (very limited personal experience consistent with this).

My guess is that an 8 in. interstem of Brompton, St. Julien A or Pershore Yellow Egg (in increasing order of coldhardiness) would enable you to grow peach on Myrobalan, as they are all suitable rootstocks for peach on their own. O of these on maybe P. tomentosa as a nurse root might be better. The late Dr. Gus Tehrani of Vineland told me that he had found that Pershore Yellow Egg tended to grow its roots more on one side than on the other and he was not happy with its windfirmness.

If I were at Uxbridge I would be very nervous about growing anything on Myrobalan. Around 1980 while living on Amherst Island near Kingston (the north edge of zone 6a) I found that seedling Myrobalan from Ontario (probably Groen's Nursery, now Verbinnen's, I think no longer selling fruit tree rootstocks) was not hardy in an open test winter (1980-81) even below ground.

Myrobalan is favoured for plums in the Niagara Peninsula because it will size a crop in a droughty summer better than other rootstocks.

"Trees and Shrubs of the Dominion Arboretum" reports that they had a subspecies of Myrobalan (or Prunus cerasifera at any rate) which was hardy at Ottawa. If you like I will check the copy in our local library.

Note that one of our members has been experimenting with Prunus X cistena (purple leaf sandcherry) as a rootstock for stone fruit. It is quite hardy and P. cerasifera (Myrobalan) is one of its parents.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario