nafex - [NAFEX] Field testing apples for potential use in cider

  • From: Alan Yelvington <alany@semparpac.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, Cider Digest <cider@talisman.com>, cider-workshop@googlegroups.com
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Field testing apples for potential use in cider
  • Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 21:38:00 -0400

I've decided to take my scrumping efforts to a new level and add some quantitative tests to my qualitative "take a bite" scrumping test.

I'm now checking fruit ripeness, pH, and sugar level. What I want to do is catalog local "wild" trees for my scrumpy efforts and get a better idea of which ones are worth the trouble to travel to and harvest from.

I've put some photos on my Facebook account to share with all of you, and I'm interested if any of you are doing similar "auditioning" of scrumpy candidates.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2124109817268.2118119.1081556789&l=af4c85bb2f&type=1

Al Yelvington
Happy Dog Farm
Russell, PA