nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Artist revives Marshall strawberry

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Artist revives Marshall strawberry
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 16:55:14 -0400

Darrow considered it not very suitable in the east. See
http://www.nal.usda.gov/pgdic/Strawberry/book/bokten.htm for Darrow's
description of Marshall as well as other heirloom varieties.

I did a test planting of heirloom varieties several years ago and found
Suwannee to be my favorite. I agree with Darrow: "Suwannee was named for its
very high dessert quality, which is perhaps the best in the United States".

Scott z7 MD