nafex - [NAFEX] Smitten apple, new from New Zealand

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Smitten apple, new from New Zealand
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 20:24:35 -0400

I bought this recently at a local Zehrs supermarket. High quality, flavour better than supermarket Royal Galas and close to Tentation; texture very crisp and juicy without being hard, closer to Macoun than any other apple I recall. I think this one will do well. Shape fairly round, colour red with bright yellow ground colour evident at stem basin, attractive. I fear it will be some time before before Smitten is available to home growers though.

See
<http://www.fruitnet.com/content.aspx?cid=7955>

At the same time I have to say that I'm not sure it has much if anything to offer over the best current cultivars available to home growers, and especially not over Cox Orange and its fellows. I don't know how it cooks.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

  • [NAFEX] Smitten apple, new from New Zealand, Douglas Woodard, 07/14/2011