nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Germinating Amelanchier Seed

  • From: Louis Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Germinating Amelanchier Seed
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 10:27:00 -0500

http://www.floridata.com/ref/a/amel_can.cfm

3-5 months cold stratification, or passage through the GI tract of a bird.
;>)

I bought about 10-12 small 1-yr seedlings of several Amelanchier species
from Ken Asmus at OIKOS Tree Crops this spring, then a couple of weeks
later, when I was harvesting fruits from some 12-yr old A.x grandiflora
seedlings my kids and I had planted at the elementary school they attended,
I noticed that the mulch bed surrounding them was a virtual lawn of little
2-3" tall serviceberry seedlings. I gently lifted some from beneath each of
the four mature plants and potted them up to grow out and transplant at a
later date.