nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Thistles

  • From: mark wessel <growyourown@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Thistles
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 21:50:06 -0400

Doreen,
Are you referring to black niger? If so, it is not a true thistle and
doesn't resemble one. It is in the same family of plants. The daisy family or
asteraceae. I believe the genus is Guizotia. If allowed to grow and has a
long enough season to flower it will reseed profusely.
Could you have been feeding a different seed that is labeled thistle.
Sometimes it may be safflower. If that is the case, I don't think they spread
in the garden. An annual which has a hard time reseeding or overwinter its
seeds.
The other possibility is that your seed was contaminated with a true
thistle. If it is the canada thistle, roundup would be a good option. The
more you allow it to grow before spraying, the better the herbicide will
work. Do not pull.
Send a picture off list. I love weeds. I am also interested in weeds
which come up around bird feeders.

Mark