nafex - [NAFEX] prunus serotina as understock?

  • From: Evan <kodama@riseup.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] prunus serotina as understock?
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 13:42:59 -0400

Hey all,

I've got a number of wild black cherries (Prunus serotina) growing around
here. Generally, the birds eat them all well before they're ripe and when
I've eaten them they've been good nibbling but not something I'd go to first
to gather in quantity. Some of the trees around the orchard I plan to cut
down to make room for other plantings, but if I can topwork some of these
(about 16-20', well branched trees) with some other kind of cherry or Prunus
I'd be very interested in giving this a go. Does anyone know anything about
which, if any, species might be compatible with P. serotina as understock?

cheers,
Evan
southern appalachians, zone 6
elevation 2800'

  • [NAFEX] prunus serotina as understock?, Evan, 06/18/2011