nafex - [NAFEX] Few ripe mulberries

  • From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Few ripe mulberries
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 17:43:49 -0400

So much for my bumper crop of mulberries! Although the tree is still loaded with fruit, it is hard to find a ripe mulberry now, the birds are obviously back at work.

I notice a temporal association between having plentiful, ripe fruit and the presence of hundreds of thousands (could it be millions?) of cicadas on my property.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/environment/2011-05-11-cicada-great-southern-brood-13-years_n.htm

Is it possible that the birds were so sated with fat, tasty cicadas that
mulberries were left alone, disdained as 'human food'?

Betsy Hilborn
7a Central NC