nafex - [NAFEX] 2011 hardy kiwi report

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] 2011 hardy kiwi report
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 21:53:04 -0500

Armed with branches of male kiwi flowers I did my best to try to pollinate a
number of lonely kolomikta females. I also left the branches of male
flowers hanging in the female vines, thinking they may contribute some more
pollen for another day or so. 3 varieties of kolomikta are flowering for
the first time, all planted in 2005.

I have these kolomiktas flowering now:

Aromatanaya (planted in 2005)
Pashke (planted in 2005, very little vigor yet, produced a single flower
this year)
Krupnolodaya
Dumbarton Oaks (planted in 2008, died back this year but seems to be
sprouting well)
Red Beauty (planted in 2003, gorgeous red tinged leaves, its been bearing
bits of fruit for 3-4 years)
Arctic Beauty male (planted sometime in the mid 90s, huge plant)

These argutas have flower buds

Anasanaya (2005)
Geneva 2 (2005)
74-32 Male
Meader Male
Unnamed (from Bachman's in the early 90s, it' swallowing the neighbors shed)

This year's casualties:

'Chico' arguta female (I have a feeling this one wouldn't make, maybe not
hardy this far north)
'Victor' Arctic Beauty kolomikta male

Hardy Kiwi wine anyone?

~mIEKAL

  • [NAFEX] 2011 hardy kiwi report, mIEKAL aND, 06/03/2011