nafex - Re: [NAFEX] farmers' market manners

  • From: "Naomi Counides" <naomi@oznayim.us>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] farmers' market manners
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 08:39:09 -0600

In my youth, my parents would go to the farm stand of the Fagenbusch
Orchards to buy a bushel. I remember Mrs. Fagenbusch after discussing
preferences with my parents offering a sample as in, "This John Grimes is
yer good eating apple." She might suggest and offer 3 or so. I remember
that the John Grimes was indeed good eating.. but I have never seen it
since.

For fruit fans, perhaps descriptive signage might help, (tart, sweet, firm,
peak of flavor, good for jam? Come next week for best quality 'variety name'
fruit to eat fresh and freeze?)
Naomi

"I am a solipsistic conspiracy theorist. I am sure I am up to something,
and I will not stop until I find out what."

http://xkcd.com/842/ Jan 3, 2011