nafex - [NAFEX] Farmers market manners - tomatoes

  • From: Betty Mayfield <bmayfield@opusnet.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Farmers market manners - tomatoes
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 15:10:54 -0700

To the list,

A couple of years ago I went to a farmers market looking for tomatoes. I chatted with a vendor who said tomatoes were his hobby and he had been growing them for 50 years. I told him I didn't want one advertised as sweet or low acid but preferred a tangy one with real tomato taste. He recommended Early Pick, which was delicious.

The next summer I went back, but he was gone - apparently finally retired. I asked another tomato vendor what variety he was selling, and he said, "Whatever was ripe this morning." Needless to say, I hurried away.

Varieties do matter, and growers would benefit if they asked what people like before recommending what was "good."

Betty Mayfield
Northwest Oregon

  • [NAFEX] Farmers market manners - tomatoes, Betty Mayfield, 05/22/2011