nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bark Grafting on non-dormant persimmon trees

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bark Grafting on non-dormant persimmon trees
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 10:52:56 -0400

I have a somewhat related question, about asian persimmon grafts. I have had
inconsistent results over the years and now I am thinking I am grafting too
early perhaps. I did the grafts this spring when the new shoots were maybe
1" long. On the bark grafts the bark was not slipping well yet which is one
reason why I am wondering if it was too early. What shoot length is best for
persimmon grafts? Some of my persimmon grafts did work, they were bark
grafts; all the wedge and cleft grafts failed. I am going to only do bark
grafts from now on on persimmons. All of my other grafts worked well this
year, it is only persimmons I am having problems with now.

Scott