nafex - [NAFEX] Plum curculio, live stock as possible control.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Plum curculio, live stock as possible control.
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 10:02:20 EDT

In a message dated 5/7/2011 2:08:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Docshiva@Docshiva.org writes:

> I read a report on using hogs in orchards to sharply reduce plum curculio
> problems - the hogs eat their habitat.

Having any livestock that would eat the fallen infected fruit would give
good control of plum curculio. The life cycle of PC is 30 days. The fruit
gets
infected, is aborted, falls to the ground where the larva enters the soil
to pupate, then emerge as a moth fly into the tree, infect more fruits which
fall to the ground and the cycle is repeated multiply. Livestock eating the
fallen fruits breaks the cycle.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Plum curculio, live stock as possible control., Jwlehman, 05/08/2011