nafex - [NAFEX] Butternut/White Walnut - disease issues.

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Butternut/White Walnut - disease issues.
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 22:22:31 -0400 (EDT)

Group:

I bought a vigorous butternut/white walnut seedling today. I just read up on
the disease susceptibility in white walnut. There is a 300+ historic white
walnut that near me. It looks in good shape, although has a large cavity in
it's trunk at the base, but still doing well. Does this mean that this is a
tree of unusual disease-resistance?

Should I graft a disease-resistant scion/cultivar unto it?

Are there disease-resistant clones?

Thanks,
Steve NJ 7a

  • [NAFEX] Butternut/White Walnut - disease issues., Steven Covacci, 04/30/2011