nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wormwood

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wormwood
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 00:21:48 -0400

*Wormwood is used to age Absynthe. It is alleged that wormwood imparts
hallucinogenic and psychadelic properties to the liquor. (I believe it is
just the alcohol.) Some countries (including the US) have banned the
importation of absynthe.

In the early 20th century, Bohemian poets and artists hoped to derive
additional stimulation by drinking absynthe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

It is commercially available in Eastern Europe, at varying colours and
percentage of alcohol to upwards of 80%. Friends from the Czech Republic
usually bring either absynthe os slivovitz (distilled plum alcohol) as a
gift.

jmb
*

Wormwood is supposed to repel moths. I believe it probably does, as I have