nafex - [NAFEX] Multi-grafting hardy kiwi (A. arguta)?

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Multi-grafting hardy kiwi (A. arguta)?
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 18:33:48 -0400 (EDT)

Group:

I have a hardy kiwi (A. arguta) - 7 stems from the base; crawls along fence.

1. Can I graft a separate variety unto each of these 7 stems, pruning any
future stems that arise from the base; or will the strongest cultivars
out-compete and choke out the weakest? The fence goes up an incline
direction so they will all be covering the same area, spreading along the
fence in the same direction. Is this good for long-term?

2. What species of kiwi can be permanently graft-compatable with A. arguta?
Is A. polygama and/or A. deliciosa?

Thanks,
Steve

NJ 6b/7a

  • [NAFEX] Multi-grafting hardy kiwi (A. arguta)?, Steven Covacci, 04/04/2011