nafex - [NAFEX] Zone hardiness of Shellbark Hickories

  • From: Richard D Hansen <rdhans01@louisville.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Zone hardiness of Shellbark Hickories
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 23:03:58 -0400

The MN Landscape arboretum (sone 4) has several nice specimens that
regularly bear nuts that have a seed source originating from IL (I
believe) that are growing very nicely. They are in a fairly protected
location but I never saw any winter injury on them whenever I visited
there. Depending on the seed source, I would guess that they would do
find in Zone 4, especially if they were in a protected location.

Richard Hansen
Zone 6b

What's the zone hardiness of Shellbark Hickories?
I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Anne