nafex - [NAFEX] suitable rootstock for zone 4 peaches?

  • From: "Mark and Alisha Fehringer" <markandalishafehringer@peetzplace.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] suitable rootstock for zone 4 peaches?
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 20:58:16 -0600

The question was asked about using Prunus americana, native American plum, as
a rootstock for peach. I budded some peaches onto native plum roots 5-6
years ago with mixed results. Each year they put on a nice growth of 2-4'.
The grafts seem plenty strong as they hold up against our high winds.
However they probably have had at least 90% dieback each winter. Last summer
I mounded some earth up around them to try to get the peach to self-root and
they appear to have overwintered very well this time, but of course I'm not
sure there's a connection. I was going to remove them this spring if they
had severe dieback, but it looks like they might be pardoned another year.

Mark
Northeast Colorado
zone 4 and windy