nafex - Re: [NAFEX] how does one go about drying a pear?

  • From: "Judson Frisk" <jlfrisk@iowatelecom.net>
  • To: <kc5gxc@gmail.com>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] how does one go about drying a pear?
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 15:30:44 -0500

I always leave the peeling on fruit before I dehydrate it. I feel that you
lose a lot of flavor if you remove the peels. I dry apricots (sweet-tart
flavor), apples, and pears. I never put anything on them before putting
them in the dehydrator. Some apple varieties discolor a little but most
come out looking fine. I used to have an Atlantic Queen pear that never
tasted good fresh but made the best dried fruit. My family eats the dried
fruit for snacks, I use it on my breakfast cereal, and we use it in Swedish
fruit soup at Christmas time. Judson L. Frisk, SW Iowa Zone 5.