nafex - [NAFEX] American persimmons must have a male??

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] American persimmons must have a male??
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 22:38:17 EST

In a message dated 3/9/2011 4:40:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
orders@cuttsreviews.com writes:

> Other places are saying the American persimmons must have a male (which
> means taking up space for a tree that produces no fruit.)

Hello Jay,

We have learned that some American persimmons will bear seedless fruit
without a pollinator. Meader (apparently a 90 chromosome persimmon) for
example
will bear large seedless fruit without a 90 chromosome pollinator. In the
presence of 90 C males it bears a larger crop of small fully seeded worthless
fruit.

Ennis seedless persimmon in the North bears seedless fruit, but in Kentucky
and Tennessee where 60 C males exist Ennis are seeded.

My answer to your question is generally the American persimmon does not
need a pollinator. Keep in mind this may not hold true for all varieties. I
suggest you wait to get a male until you find the varieties you purchase need
one.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] American persimmons must have a male??, Jwlehman, 03/09/2011