nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Serviceberries/saskatoons--how to search the list archives?

  • From: Louis Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Serviceberries/saskatoons--how to search the list archives?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 06:47:45 -0600

Richard,
Can't say that I recall a previous discussion on serviceberries - but I'll
check my saved NAFEX posts when I get back to the office on Friday. I know
I've got your missive on Che, which I'll post to add to the discussion
that's recently come to the fore.

I'm currently visiting family in the Montgomery, AL area - pears -
especially the bazillion 'volunteer' callery seedlings, apples, Chickasaw
plums in full bloom - some past peak. Have seen some redbuds, peaches, and
sassafras in bloom, as well. Saw my first pear & plum blossoms when I
crossed the TN line into Alabama the Beautiful.
Spring is coming!

In addition to the cultivated varieties I've planted at the homeplace, there
is a really nice Allegheny serviceberry, A.laevis, planted at the public
library in Hopkinsville; there used to be two, but they removed one for some
reason unbeknownst to me. Two or three trunks, each 6+" dbh, with nice,
spreading habit, like an old standard apple. Fruits heavily every year -
plenty for the birds and me - but unfortunately they've pruned it up so high
to accomodate parking, that it's difficult to reach the majority of berries.
Lucky