nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

  • From: Louis Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Brown Marmorated Stink Bug
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 07:12:03 -0600

I'd not seen any verified reports of BMSBs in my area - I have a close
working relationship with the local Extension ag and horticulture agents -
but this year's crop of pecans was heavily damaged by stinkbug feeding -
far, far worse than I've ever experienced, and have heard reports from other
KY nutgrowers, that stinkbugs decimated their pecan crops as well.

Stinkbugs will feed on the young, tender, developing pecan nuts, causing
large black spots in the kernel which must be broken out and discarded, as
they confer an 'off' flavor. I suspect that in commercial operations, the
entire kernel would be discarded, and at some level of damage, they might
just 'dump' the whole load.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY