nafex - [NAFEX] Fw: good deal on "truffle trees" - OT

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fw: good deal on "truffle trees" - OT
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:53:50 -0500

For those interested - Mellow Marsh Farm is in Chatham Co. in central
NC, but it looks like they will ship 20-tree minimum orders as well

Message from Mellow Marsh Farm:

We have been growing truffle trees for a guy in California and he has
not been able to keep up his end of the contract. We are now looking
for a market for the following inoculated trees and shrubs:

Corylus avellena - summer truffle (108 plants)

Corylus avellena - winter truffle (162 plants)

Quercus robur - summer truffle (1241 plants)

Quercus robur - winter truffle (1527 plants)

(Corylus avellena is hazelnut; Quercus robur is English oak).

The trees were germinated here with good clean technique, inoculated and
transplanted into small tree bands with the proper soil mixture and
grown to 8-12 inches tall.

We only know the inoculum as summer or winter truffle and not the
specific species. All protocols have been followed and the trees are
ready to plant. This is the best time of year to plant these trees. We
are selling each tree for $5.00 to get our cost out of them. They sell
for $22 at truffle farms, but we need to sell them to make room for
other crops.

Trees can be picked up at Mellow Marsh Farm or we will ship a minimum
order of 20 trees by Fed Ex at the buyers’ expense.

Contact: Sharon Day at 919-742-1200 or 919-623-3504.