nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ka-Bluey blueberr, from the source

  • From: Amelia Hayner <abhayner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ka-Bluey blueberr, from the source
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 06:50:00 -0500

> Donna:
> Happy to share info on this.
>

> First, KaBluey is A-257, selected here at UA (Clarksville AR to be exact)
> and it went the Gurney/Fields mail order route due to this seln not being of
> commercial quality and wanted to try to keep it in the home market. (rest of
> message clipped)

----- now see, that's why I love this group. This is wonderful!!
Thank you, Donna, for persisting! A pox on whoever tagged this great
blueberry with a name that was practically guaranteed to make NO ONE take it
seriously.
crisp, that's great- it will freeze better. who cares if it's light or dark?
love the complex flavor idea-- much better than trying to market sour little
marbles cause of their "extremely high anti-oxidant content" I had some of
them too.. obviously, the birds would beat me to the big soft sweet ones.
But they wouldn't have frozen well, if I had ever had enough to do so.
we bought a small woodlot directly behind the house, just a tiny strip, when
we bought this place, cause they had huge machinery ready to raze it to the
ground.
there's a run of water through there, most of the year, although it's choked
with small trees.
I have an idea of gradually clearing them out, so more light can come in,
and plant some blueberries in there, with some native azaleas as well.
thanks again- I expect Gurneys' ought to thank you as well!
Amy