nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hops question

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hops question
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:01:56 -0600

Mark, I guess I'm about to experiment with hops. My son dug some bits of a vine gone wild and gave me some. The dried hops they picked off the vine smelled heavenly. The info I have seen says they do better grown straight up for 14 to 20 ft. This one had gotten on a power pole, maybe not a good idea if the company comes around and sprays it from time to time. We've got bamboo, can rig up a tripod or just sink a tall one in the ground. And no, I don't want to talk about bamboo. We love it and we hate it. It's eating my fruit trees, there now it's a fruit related subject. Don't plant any running bamboo within 50 yards of your fruit trees if you plan on living a long time. Once they get going they can run at least 8-10 ft a year. We saw where someone had put up an electric fence and run donkeys between their bamboo and their newly planted orchard. We could see where the roots were running along, all tops eaten by donkeys but there was no stopping the roots without digging them up. The 20 ft underground link between bamboo clump and orchard was going to be complete in just another year or two. Donna