nafex - Re: [NAFEX] The apple forests of Almaty

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] The apple forests of Almaty
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 22:31:09 +0000

I've read so many books about apples this past year I don't remember which
one this bit of information comes from, (a li'l voice in back of my head
suggests "The Botany of Desire" by Michael Pollan).
In seeking out the city in Kazakhstan and Phil Forsline in NY, the author
quotes (Forsline?) as saying the entire domestic apple population (# of
cultivars) represents no more than 15 % of the apple gene pool. Hence the
importance of conserving and utilizing the wild/feral apples of Kazakhstan.

Dave Liezen