nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fresh horse manure for melons

  • From: Amelia Hayner <abhayner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fresh horse manure for melons
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:43:09 -0500

when i was a kid, and we were pretty clueless-- we put LOTS of it on strawberries.. over the winter, and they came up very thick and were DELICIOUS.
BUT, we cleaned out stalls, and put it on a pile, where it was rained on some, before it went to the garden, so it prolly wasn't all that hot by then.
Amy

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com> wrote:
There's a system of using fresh manure to heat the soil to plant things earlier, especially melons. I haven't tried it myself.

Melissa

>Is it a problem to till in relatively fresh ( 3 months) horse manure in the spring?  I always do it in the fall, but Ihave some available this spring and would like to make use of it.  Jerry in southern Indiana

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----