nafex - Re: [NAFEX] blueberries, and JUNEBERRIES, and what about goji?

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] blueberries, and JUNEBERRIES, and what about goji?
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:42:35 -0600

Amy,   I've got rabbiteyes and I've got a few southern highbush and 1 northern highbush, and the rabbiteyes do WAY better.  I think your husband has eaten some rabbiteyes that were A) underripe and B) Tifblue and C) in a cloudy wet year, ie 2009.  That's what mine were like in 2009, but it was the weather.  Tifblue is pretty tart till it gets really ripe, and they just never could make any sugar in 2009.  Ah, wait, no, I'll bet he likes those tasteless sweet lowbush that turn so many people off blueberries.  In that case he'd like Baldwin which is sweet and tasteless, and Garden Blue which is sweet and superb.
    Look at southern highbush for your chill hours.  Some of them are supposed to be really superb.  We picked some huge blueberries in South Ga that were about the best I have ever eaten.  Donna