nafex - [NAFEX] Ducks and Orchard Maintenance

  • From: Rosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ducks and Orchard Maintenance
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:38:13 -0500

Re: Ducks:

Michael McConkey (Edible Landscaping) uses Runner Ducks and a few others as pest control in his open-to-the-public nursery orchard (see the tour - the ducks are in the last scene http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/tour.php ) and they:

-eat bugs. He calls them "pest control"
-don't seem to stink in a manner offensive to his customers
-don't really need the wading pool they have, but Mike likes it
-are inside his big fenced orchard, but predator fencing is not apparent to the casual observer (me).

There is an axiom here in Virginia: You don't have too many Japanese beetles, you have a "duck deficiency".

It is Geese who are the vegetarians!

(they will ALL eat fruit)

Barbara R. (owns no fowl)
Central VA Piedmont 7A? 6? Brrrr...