nafex - [NAFEX] Canadian sources of old French apples

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Canadian sources of old French apples
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 15:45:31 -0400

I am trying to re-create an orchard of apple trees at the site of the old French fort,  Ste Marie de Grace, which was established in 1632 at the mouth of the LaHave River by Isaac de Rasilly, as the first capital of New France.  deRasilly planted apples that same year, and I want to plant apples of varieties which he could have planted, ie varieties extant in France in 1630.  I need: Coeur de Boeuf, Fenouillet Gris (Anise Russet) [I had both these briefly last year, but the grafts failed].  Also, (if anybody has them):  Api Noir, Calville Rouge d'Hiver,
Calville Blanc d'Hiver, and Chataigner Royal Russe (Royal Russet) .
It is essentially impossible to get material across the border, (wood must be virus-indexed, even if it is coming from one of the few States that we are still allowed to deal with.  (NY is out completely, cutting out access to Geneva).  No cultivar 400 years old is going to have been indexed. )  So only Canadian sources need reply, probably directly to me: david.maxwell@dal.ca.  Thanks.

  • [NAFEX] Canadian sources of old French apples, david . maxwell, 01/23/2011