nafex - [NAFEX] three sisters technique

  • From: "alden@waldenwinds.com" <alden@waldenwinds.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] three sisters technique
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 20:50:10 -0700

<This is a little off topic, but has anyone seen recent research on the three
sisters technique for squash, corn and beans?>

     I keep whacking my head on the wall each year trying three sisters.
I have refined my techniques in the following ways:

a]  I have gone from rows to hills.
b]  I am circling each hill with hardware cloth, as at seedling stage
     the beans are tempting to gnawers.
c]  Although many sources argue to plant the beans 4-6 weeks after
    sowing the corn, I will this year plant most my beans, corn
    simultaneously.
d]  Runner beans compete pretty well in three sisters.
e]  Probably better than squash might be something more shade-tolerant.
     You know, squash don't like the shade so much.
f]    At least a full six feet [two metres] between each hill.
g]  Unless you have very very fertile soil your corn is going to want fert.
     I use whatever moldy stuff is lying around, I did very well last year
     with some moldy dog's milk-bonesĀ®.

Charlie, Massachusetts

  • [NAFEX] three sisters technique, alden@waldenwinds.com, 01/22/2011