nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Can I freeze chestnuts to plant for next year

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Can I freeze chestnuts to plant for next year
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 20:28:12 -0800

Depending on which set of rules you're using, bleach can be acceptable in
organic farming.
I sanitize with it, especially when making goat cheese from raw milk that
meets certification requirements. I can't sell the stuff - the milk or the
cheese - but I consider it organic. Because I don't sell, I never checked
to see if it would violate a standard.
But to reverse my digression - my understanding is that it's organic 'legal'
under some jurisdictions/rules. For your purposes, especially if you're not
producing certified chestnuts, I don't think it's a big or any sized deal.
Vinegar inhibits mold by making the pH uncomfortable. To maintain that pH,
you'd end up pickling your chestnuts. A spritz of bleach solution followed
by mold-unfriendly low temperatures is something I would expect to be more
successful.

~ Stephen