nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zone 6 & Asian persimmon - lowest minimum temperaturesurvived? Cultivar?

  • From: "David Consolvo" <fruitopia@firstva.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zone 6 & Asian persimmon - lowest minimum temperaturesurvived? Cultivar?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 09:36:39 -0500

Professor Jim Shanks planted dozens of varieties of asian persimmons at the
Wye
station of Maryland's Eastern Shore in the 1960's. I was just there
yesterday.
There is low-temperature protection from being near large bodies of water; I
don't
know what the minimum temperatures have been, but it's been over 40 years of
testing.

About two thirds of the types have died completely, and others look damaged
but
survive. I didn't make a comprehensive assessment, but here are some which
looked the strongest yesterday:

Inchon
Saijo
Aizu-Michirazu
Tsurushigaki
Kyungsun Ban-Si (my favorite for late ripening and long-keeping)
Niu Nai (extremely productive but bland)
D-3
Okame
Great Wall
Taber 129