nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pie cherries - Cherry subsititute

  • From: "Dr.Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch_mnd@dataone.in>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pie cherries - Cherry subsititute
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:41:01 +0530

Interesting.

BTW when were in India.

C. PARMAR
----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Nave
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2010 10:02 AM

Hi Doc,

Interesting reading about this.  I used to live in India (quite a while ago) in Shahjahanpur and Bareilly, UP state.  I went to school during spring, summer, and fall in Mussoorie, a hill station south east of you near Dehra Dun, now in Uttarakhand state.  I never had karaunda to my knowledge.  Many of the local fruits of the plains that matured during the summer were not available in the hill areas, other than the standards of mango, banana, papaya, tangerines, the occasional pomegranate and custard apple, imli from MP state that one of my friends would bring with him to school, etc.  I do fondly remember the grapefruit and lemons from trees that my grandmother planted in Shahjahanpur, as well as some Ber fruit which only I and the fruit bats ate, an occasional custard apple,and some delectable shaitoot (mulberry) that we had until some kid fell out of it and broke both arms after which it was cut down...

Anyway, I imagine there has been a lot of development of commercial fruit plantings in north India over the last several decades.

Dan