nafex - [NAFEX] Hardy Kiwi and Arctic Kiwi

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hardy Kiwi and Arctic Kiwi
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 13:53:58 -0600

I don't have a huge yard, but I would like to grow some Hardy Kiwi or Arctic Kiwi in St. Paul, MN which is zone 4a.

Anyway, I have a chain link fence in the back which is somewhat shaded, gets some sun, and also an oak tree and a maple tree with substantial amount of bare trunk before branches start, which might be suitable for a vine. One problem is that there are squirrels, and they would be living in one or both of these trees. Would the squirrels eat all of the fruit off the vines before I get a chance at them? Is it possible to prune a kiwi for fruit production while growing on a tree trunk?

Also, any recommendations on specific Kiwis for this area?

Dan

  • [NAFEX] Hardy Kiwi and Arctic Kiwi, Dan Nave, 12/23/2010