nafex - [NAFEX] Astringency in certain fruits & vegetables; stomach & GI tract bezoars.

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Astringency in certain fruits & vegetables; stomach & GI tract bezoars.
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 02:18:05 -0500 (EST)

Topic: Astringency in certain fruits & vegetables; stomach & GI tract bezoars.

Aside from celery, coconut, pumpkin, leeks, beets, raisins, citrus, I would think under-rip bananas, and, of course, under-ripe persimmons, does any one know if any of the following fruits can also, in large and frequent quantities, result in bezoars is humans and live-stock:

*Autumn olive; goumi; Russian olive; silverberry; etc.
*American plum and other tart-skinned plums
*wild grapes, like northern foxgrape

I sometimes over-do the Autumn olives on hikes – my stomach feels the same as when I consume under-ripe persimmons; I think that they have a high ratio of indigestible cellulose and tannic acid.

Thanks,
Steve Covacci
USDA zone 6b/7a; New Jersey

(p.s. to reduce redundancy – when replying, where practical, please remove my original text, except for subject heading and specific points being replied to.)

  • [NAFEX] Astringency in certain fruits & vegetables; stomach & GI tract bezoars., Steven Covacci, 12/15/2010