nafex - Re: [NAFEX] off topic: Yukon gold potato

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] off topic: Yukon gold potato
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 20:59:54 -0500

On Dec 3, 2010, at 6:48 PM, Hélène Dessureault wrote:

Yukon Gold seem to be more demanding in soil fertilizer and in some situations it develops a hollow centre jagged in appearance and looking kind of rotty... yes. There are seed potatoe catalogues where you can order different types of yellow flesh potatoes that may do better in your soil.... We have a good kind this year, but I have lend out my catalogue to someone at the moment and cannot tell you the name... But yes, Yukon Gold potatoes are somewhat difficult. I believe they grow better in heavier soils... we have sandy soil...

Not in all heavier soils. I could never even get my seed back from Yukon Gold: if I planted 10 lb of seed I was likely to get 5 lb of harvest. I switched to Carola, which does much better for me.

Yukon Gold is notorious for this; it does grow beautifully for some people, but won't produce in many locations where other varieties do fine, even though it may do well on other farms in the same general area.

Hélène, zone 3-4

----- Original Message ----- From: "akmanty"