nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 94, Issue 27: Prunus

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 94, Issue 27: Prunus
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:41:30 -0600

OK, here’s my plug for P.angustifolia.

Growing up in rural east-central AL, thickets of P.angustifolia were pretty common, but most that I was familiar with declined or disappeared as they were largely overtaken by encroaching pine forests &/or sweetgums.

I’ve ‘re-discovered’ them here in KY, and have come across a number of nice, sizable roadside/pasture thickets of them – and my experiences with attempting to grow a few European and Japanese hybrid plums have pretty much failed, but the Chickasaw plums are reliable, producing almost every year, and while they do get some brown rot – worse some years than others – they’re pretty clean, and even the curculios don’t seem to bother them much – a little clear gum from PC wounds, but the fruits are relatively unaffected otherwise.  I’ve, for the most part, abandoned all the cultivated plums in favor of P.angustifolia – the fruit may be small, but at least I get some, and almost every year.

In addition to the local natives, I also have the ‘Guthrie’ cultivar, and it produced a large crop of pingpong-ball sized fruits this year, with good flavor.  More than I could eat, even with the onslaught of the Japanese beetles; gave away a couple gallons of nice ripe plums to friends and neighbors.

I have some row-run P.americana plants, that I initially purchased for use as rootstocks – and have been singularly unimpressed with the few fruits they’ve produced.

Had a couple of seedling P.maritima from OIKOS; one, a dwarf selection, produced small tart fruits with not a lot of pulp that usually dried on the plant – I ate a few, as I’d pass the bush, but never really bothered harvesting them, though they were tasty, even when dried; the second one, larger, and more vigorously suckering, has never set a fruit, and now that the dwarf has died out, it may never do so, unless the nearby Chickasaws bloom at the same time.

Lucky Pittman

Hopkinsville, KY