nafex - [NAFEX] Drought/sunscald?

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Drought/sunscald?
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 00:34:23 +0000

Question to the list:

How best to help an apple tree recover from damage to the upper surface of its limbs?

 A Winesap a friend of mine acquired along with the recent purchase of a home has limbs 6-8" in diameter, all nearly horizontal in growth and each has bald wood from one to four feet in extent, and at worst involving a third of the circumference.

 I suspect overuse by climbers coupled with neglected irrigation (hot and sunny for 60-75 days in Spokane most summers) brought this on.

I thought it might be worthwhile to trim the loose bark and paint the exposed wood with white latex. I fear Tree Heal, being black, might not doo all that is needed.

Better ideas? Thanks,

         Dave, E. WA, z6

  • [NAFEX] Drought/sunscald?, david liezen, 11/06/2010