nafex - [NAFEX] Cedar Apple Rust

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cedar Apple Rust
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 22:15:05 -0400

I've been reading a lot of comments on which apples are susceptible/immune to
CAR, and I wonder how important that is? I have a Jonathan tree in the front
yard that seems to get it. I'd say that most leaves have one or two small
lesions (with a few leaves being clean, and a few having more lesions.) So,
yes, it makes the leaves less attractive, but it only seems to damage a small
portion of the leaf surface. My tree grows more than I really want it to
each year, and it sets more fruit than I'd like it to keep. (Of course, when
all the apples disappear at ping-pong-ball size to the squirrels. . . )

So, what's the issue with CAR? Does that count as "susceptible"?
"resistant"? (It's obviously not "immune".)

thanks,
Ginda

eastern MA, zone 6
near a cedar, I assume, although I have no idea where the cedars are hanging
out.

  • [NAFEX] Cedar Apple Rust, Ginda Fisher, 10/30/2010