nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wood ashes

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wood ashes
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 12:03:40 -0400

On Oct 30, 2010, at 10:29 AM, jerrydana5@aol.com wrote:

I burn wood in the winter and so have a lot of ashes.  I have put them on my garden in the past, but wonder about how they affect ph. I assume they will add potassium,but as my soil is already too alkaline, will the ashes make them more alkaline due to the formation of potassium hydroxide?  jerry in southern Indiana

Too much wood ash on even fairly acid soil may eventually make it too alkaline. Many years ago I put all the household wood ash production on a garden of less than 1/4 acre for several years and accidentally got it too alkaline  -- I didn't know what I was doing then and by the time I got a soil test it was already up somewhere around 8.

Here I have much more land and the wood ash goes on whatever field tested most acid on the last soil test.