nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting Prunus

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting Prunus
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:47:20 EDT

In a message dated 10/20/2010 5:36:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, alandhaigh@gmail.com writes:

Sorry, I've done this only with apples.  I still haven't figured out a very affective way of spring grafting prunus.  I hear it's best to do during an early warm spell.

When I first joined NAFEX about 30 years ago I heard members say grafting plums was difficult. What has worked well for me is grafting very dormant buds on actively growing (at least 1 inch of new growth) understock. My success using prunus buds that have begun to swell is very poor. Apples are very forgiving and one of the easiest to graft.

With many species that expanding bud places demands upon the scion wood before it has calloused with the understock, before the transfer of nutrients has begun. So the bud starves to death. At least that is the way I figure it.

For what it's worth. Twice I've grafted sour cherry to the wild or Black Cherry. Twice I've had success and about two years of growth. But there is an incompatibility, the union swells and looks similar to cork then dies about the third year.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Grafting Prunus, Jwlehman, 10/20/2010