nafex - [NAFEX] Trying to identify some chestnuts

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Trying to identify some chestnuts
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:34:32 -0500

A friend of mine gave me a bag of chestnuts that his friend grew in SW
Wisconsin. All of the nuts were a third larger than what I grow
(Layeroka & Skioka). The only thing the person knows about the
pedigree is that he got them from Millers Nurseries in upstate NY 20
years ago. A quick search of their current catalogue only shows
Chinese Chestnuts listed. Is it possible that a Chinese Chestnut
could produce nuts that weigh between 16-22 grams? I was always under
the impression the Chinese Chestnuts are smaller than the American
hybrids.... The couple Chinese trees that I have going produce nuts
so small they aren't worth the effort to collect.

~mIEKAL