nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cumberland Valley Nursery

  • From: Richard Harrison <rharrison922@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cumberland Valley Nursery
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 15:17:17 -0700 (PDT)

mICHAEL aND,
     I used to buy many trees from CVN about 20-25 years ago. Their prices were very reasonable and their labeling was better than most nurseries in business at that time. There are mostly different people at the business now. I may know only 1 of the secretaries from there now---if she hasn't retired.
    As for their peach trees, they used mostly Lovell rootstock---which is quite hardy. Their pears were on calleryana---whci is the best for the South, especially as it is nematode-proof. I'm sure they used the strains of calleryana that are more cold-hardy and have higher chill requirement which would be bette for Northern climates. Calleryana as a species has wide variance in chill requirements. Some strains bloom very early, some very late, for example. They used to be my #1 supplier for orchard trees and for the retail nursery.
                                                                              Richard Harrison