nafex - [NAFEX] jujubes; pollination

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] jujubes; pollination
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 08:41:17 -0400

I am now harvesting my Honey Jar and Sugar Cane varieties and both are
excellent fresh as well as dried. Those two are quite a bit better than the
other kinds I have tried (Shui Men, Ant Admire, Tsao). Honey Jar is very
early so would be the best one to try in more northern spots.

While we are on this subject I have a question about jujube pollination. I
have not always gotten good pollination of my jujubes. Two years ago I had a
great crop, last year hardly anything, and this year was OK but several
varieties did not fruit. I have about 8 varieties so there is plenty of
cross-pollination (in the event that was needed), and there are lots of ants
all over the trees. I heard somewhere that wet weather was not good at
pollination time so that is about the only reason I can think of for the
inconsistency. I would be interested to hear how pollination has been
working for other people in climates where it tends to be raining around
pollination time.

Scott

  • [NAFEX] jujubes; pollination, Scott Smith, 09/21/2010