nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bartlett Pear tree

  • From: "Bob Hartman" <hartmansfruit@msn.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bartlett Pear tree
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:37:22 -0700

Most of the reading that I have done about copper sprays says that it is great to use as a dormant spray but generally it is not recommended to be used when the tree is leafed out.  I use copper during the dormant season but never use it when the leaves are out.  I know someone who used copper on his tree this season when the leaves were growing and burned the leaves, doing the opposite of what he wanted.

Bob
Western Washington

Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:18 PM
Subject: [NAFEX] Bartlett Pear tree

I have a Bartlett Pear tree now for 3 years. It hasn't bloomed yet as it is still young. I am having trouble with some sort of disease I can't identify. The leaves of the tree are wilting, although I have watered it well.  I sprayed it with liquid flowable copper spray from Gardens Alive with poor results. Some of the leaves have brown bulbous markings, others have black tips. All the leaves appear to be folding inward on themselves from the bottom of each leaf to the top so that the rich green tops of the leaves can no longer see the sun.
Meanwhile my Keifer pear tree is growing by leaps and bounds. Nothing seems to affect it.
Anybody have any experience with Bartletts? I had hoped for fruit next year, but maybe not.
-Bob

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----