nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mushrooms on potted nectarine

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mushrooms on potted nectarine
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 13:18:52 -0700

I would think the rootstock has died and the graft has self-rooted. As far
as I know, pleurotis/oyster mushrooms won't inhabit or damage live wood.
Provided you're sure they're oyster mushrooms, I'd regard this as a twofer.
Maybe you could cut out the rootstock, but it may be providing structural
support if not nutrient transport.
How tall is the nectarine? If my guesses are correct, you could lose the
rootstock before the graft has grown enough support, and it could tilt over.
You might want to support it. If you did prune away the rootstock, you
could half-bury it elsewhere to possibly get more mushrooms, or even use it
to inoculate another substrate.
I can see examining the roots for health and to see which part of the plant
is alive and rooting; I could see removing the rootstock, if dead, to allow
the graft to grow a root system unimpeded; and I could see leaving well
enough alone. Of course, any examination would be done while the tree is
dormant.

~ Stephen