nafex - [NAFEX] First persimmon of the season

  • From: Louis Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] First persimmon of the season
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:20:45 -0500

PIcked up a dozen or so ripe to almost-ripe fruits from beneath NC-10 this evening;  Usually begins dropping ripe fruit around 15 September, but, like almost everything else, it's ripening about 2 weeks ahead of schedule this year.  Looking up in the tree, there are quite a number of fruits that are coloring up well.

Picked the last of the Chojuro Asian pears earlier this week,and picked all the Warren, Spalding and Biscamp pears yesterday - the big yellow/brown European hornets were playing havoc on them, and if I'd left 'em any longer, there'd have been none for me.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY

  • [NAFEX] First persimmon of the season, Louis Pittman, 08/28/2010