nafex - [NAFEX] my Dunbars Plums

  • From: Richard MURPHY <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] my Dunbars Plums
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 20:18:35 +0000

Howdy Kids!!

I bought 25 Dunbars from Oikos. They arrived in the Spring of 2009 as 3" to 6" seedlings. Mostly OK, a few wimps.
I planted them in a small nursery out in the yard, here in zone 6, that day. A year later, april 2010, I dug up 12 and transplanted them in zone 4 Maine. They have done well in Maine and here, too. Their growth habit in both sites is 'undisciplined, lanky and spindly'. That's how they are. I think about 20% of the plants didn't make it, due to poor quality OR my bad nursery conditions, BUT.....
For a buck a tree, you can't go wrong. Larger seedlings will do better every time.
          The same thing happened when I bought teeny blueberry seedlings from DeGrandchamps in Michigan. I set 'micro' seedlings right into the rows. They can't compete with the weeds for water, sun, or nutrients when they're tiny. So, if you want to save money on tiny plants like I do, be prepared to let them 'grow up' for a year in a tightly controlled, mulched nursery bed. Works fine. Easier to water and spray, no weeds.

Murph

R A Murphy Jr

  • [NAFEX] my Dunbars Plums, Richard MURPHY, 08/25/2010